|The J. W. Busiel Company, hosiery manufacturer, was the largest industry of its kind in Laconia at the turn of the century. The company was founded in 1846 by John W. Busiel, one of the pioneers in the hosiery industry in the United States. John W. Busiel was the father of Charles A. Busiel, the first mayor of Laconia and an early Governor of New Hampshire. In 1853, after a fire destroyed several mill buildings along the Winnipesauke River, including the wooden structure which housed the Busicl enterprise, Mr. Busiel purchased the land and water rights. On this site he erected the first of the buildings we now see, the five story section between the bell tower and the Avery Dam.
In the subsequent years, the business prospered and the mill was enlarged. The four story building and bell tower were added to the first portion, keeping the same architectural design as the original part. The old stairs were removed from the original building and access to the different floors was gained by the new circular stairway in the bell tower.
The Busiel Mill was purchased in 1971 and One Mill Plaza, Inc. was formed. From 1971-1973, the mill was restored creating office space for a law practice and a dental practice.
In 2004, a major restoraton project began to restore many features heretofore hidden. The entire exterior is also receiving a major cleaning and refurbishment. The entire building has been wired for broadband communications.